Here is some great benefits of Tart Cherries.
May Increase Strength and Reduce Muscle Soreness
• Tart cherry juice intake in the days leading up to and immediately following intense physical exercise may reduce muscle strength loss and soreness. It may also speed up recovery.
Rich in Nutrients
• Tart cherry juice contains many nutrients and beneficial plant compounds. Compared to sweet cherry juice, it may also contain higher levels of certain nutrients. In a single 8oz glass, it has Carbs: 28 grams, Fiber: 5 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Fat: 1 gram, Vitamin A: 62% of the RDI, Vitamin C: 40% of the RDI, Manganese: 14% of the RDI, Potassium: 12% of the RDI, Copper: 12% of the RDI, Vitamin K: 7% of the RDI.
Tart cherry juice also contains smaller amounts of B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, omega-3 and omega-6 fats, in addition to antioxidants and other beneficial plant compounds (1, 2). Compared to sweet cherry varieties, tart cherries contain 20 times more vitamin A, and their antioxidant levels are up to five times higher (1, 3, 4, 5).
Help You Sleep Better
• Tart cherry juice may be a safe and effective way to treat insomnia and increase the amount of sleep you get each night. That's because tart cherries are naturally rich in melatonin, a hormone responsible for sleepiness.
Interestingly, tart cherry juice seems to be just as, if not more, effective at reducing insomnia than valerian and melatonin — the two most studied natural products for insomnia.
May Reduce Symptoms of Arthritis and Gout
• Tart cherry juice is often claimed to reduce arthritis symptoms, such as joint pain and inflammation. Studies have also looked at the effect of tart cherry juice on gout, a type of arthritis accompanied by repeated attacks of swelling and intense pain.
• Drinking tart cherry juice seems to reduce blood levels of uric acid — a chemical that can trigger gout when present in too high concentrations.
Might Promote Brain Health
• Degenerative brain disorders like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's are thought to be caused, in part, by oxidative stress. Tart cherries and their juice contain large amounts of antioxidants and other beneficial plant compounds that may have protective effects on brain cells
May Strengthen the Immune System
• Tart cherry juice is rich in many vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds proven to offer a boost to your immune system. In particular, researchers believe that tart cherries' high antioxidant content may help prevent infections.
Other benefits such as things like protecting against cancer, certain antioxidants found in tart cherry juice may help turn off genes involved in cancer growth. Might help pain associated with nerve damage and may reduce blood pressure as well.
So many healing benefits, in just one ingredient. Powerful little things those tart cherries, huh.